What is Star Anise ?
Star anise is a fruit from a plant called Illicium Verum, also known as Badiana or China Badiana. Its origin is from Asian regions, mainly China.
Fruits are presented in the shape of a star, hence their name, and have a slight anise flavor. It is not related to the plant that we know as green anise, Pimpinella Anisum, although both contain an aromatic component called anethole, also present in fennel.
What is Star Anise Used For ? Benefits
Among other benefits and uses of Star Anise is a powerful ally to combat:
- Stomach spasms and diarrhea.
- Muscle and joint pain
- Halitosis (bad breath).
- Fungi and bacteria.
- Flu, bronchitis, cough and asthma.
- Herpes simplex.
Other Uses and Benefits
- Anise has proven to be a natural antioxidant that improves digestion and eliminates toxins from the body.
- Its infusions produce a mild sedative effect that induces sleep.
- Studies suggest that it is an adjunct to hormonal function in men and women. As an antitumor element due to its antioxidant capacity for body stress.
- In meals, it is usually used as an aromatic in curry sauces, and as a preservative for some pickles.
- For beverages, there are references on its use for the manufacture of some liqueurs due to its low cost.
Commercial Presentations of Star Anise
The most common form is raw, in its star-shaped seed, which is used to prepare tea infusions. It can also be obtained in an industrially processed form, in soaps, creams and as essential oil.
Contraindications to Use of Star Anise
- High doses of pure essential oil, as it could cause seizures and / or delusions.
- Those with hypersensitivity to anethole.
- People with ulcerative colitis, epilepsy, or Parkinson’s disease.
- Nor should it be combined with anticoagulants.
Like many other gifts of nature, well understood and consumed star anise can be an ally for a healthy daily life; however, connoisseurs of the medical subject point out that its consumption should not exceed the proportions found naturally in food.
As it applies to various aspects of life: moderation ensures enjoyment without harming. In its presentations as infusion, oil and processed into creams; we can find in anise a star for our health.
Other Articles About What Is It Used For ?
Products you can find in Smart10.top
Some Articles in our Blog
Image of What Is Star Anise and What Is It Used For ? Benefits